Each and every person already has a personal brand. Just ask those around you how they see you. Ask them to give you three words to describe you, and that is your brand. If you hear things you don’t want to hear, you can change your brand, but if you hear what you like, continue doing what you’re doing. In order to personally brand yourself there are some methods you can use to get clear on your brand.
- Set Specific Goals — As you embark on your self-branding journey, try to understand what your goals are by writing them down. If you’re trying to find a job doing specific work, ensure that your goals align with the outcomes you desire.
- Know Your Purpose — Be very clear about your purpose for any online activity that you participate in. You want to be very careful about how you mix business and personal information.
- Determine Your Values — Knowing the values that you stand for can help you identify what type of companies you want to work with even more than the skills you have.
- Know Your Core Audience — Do you have a specific company in mind that you’d like to work with? How about a specific person you’d like to connect with? Knowing this can help you direct messages to the right audience.
- Know Your Key Strengths & Weaknesses — Perform a SWOT analysis on yourself. Write down your key strengths, weaknesses, opportunities and threats so that you can differentiate yourself and your skill set.
- Know Your Competition — Understanding who you’re competing with for various types of positions is an important component in making yourself stand out. Follow people who are your competition and learn how they do things, and do it better.
- Be Consistent — Across all your social media accounts it’s important that you’re consistent. Use the same bio, same name, same headshot, and same information.
- Own Your Name — Today you have an unprecedented opportunity to own your own name in terms of a domain name, personalized URLs on social media accounts and so forth. If you don’t take it, someone else will.
- Centralize Your Message — You need a hub from which to keep the information you want to share such as a website or a blog. Not everyone you want to connect with is going to have the same social media account as you do. Connect everyone to your hub through the various social media accounts that you have and you’re more likely to be found.
Your personal brand defines your passions, personal attributes, strengths and even your weaknesses together in such a way as to describe the unique way that you can benefit your audience. Because you are unique you can deliver on your promises unlike anyone else.
Need a professionally developed LinkedIn profile that positions you as the expert in your field that you are who also happens to be as fascinating on social media as in real life? Well then, we should talk. Contact me by phone: 1-866-562-0850 or email: email@example.com.